Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Saddle-less.

It is funny how life works sometimes. The twists and turns in a seemingly perfect, straight, path. It was so easy for Polu to make a name for himself. He was a talent without any doubt. The way things happen make it disappointing to know that talents don't always get the chance they deserve. Even though I relished in the fact that he was MY horse, I wanted the world of Dressage to have a taste of this exceptional horse and vice versa.

What am I trying to get at? I'd rather not disclose what exactly happened to Polu, but his lameness side-lined him. Work was out of the question and it was to be that way for some time. LL was so disappointed, that for the first time since I've known her, she was actually showing some emotion. LL had enough emotion for the both of us. I wasn't as upset, because even though Polu would not be the star we wanted him to be, he had another chance at this Dressage career, just in a smaller way.

Polu was to be on stall rest and limited hand-walks, starting at 10mins, once a day, which mostly consisted of allowing him to graze. Slowly he was to increase in hand-walks. LL and I both agreed, that since his career was pretty much over for a chance at Grand Prix, we might as well take extra caution and care in his rehabilitation, so when he did come back to work, he'd be for the better. This ment that I would have a chance at becoming Polu's rider once again. What an odd twist.

In the beginning of his stall confinement, I avoided handling him, as he did become a little hot. After the Androu walked him, I'd usually feed him treats and watch over the grooming process. I insisted he was still groomed daily because who wants to see a dirty horse, let alone one who is rehabbing? They should still be clean and presentable.

At this time, LL began to focus more on Prince and I. She saw the talent in him and although he was not going to achieve competitive success past fourth level, we could still toy with GP movements schooling and enjoy rides in the ring without so much pressure. I use that word lightly, as LL was always putting on the pressure for more and better. Although I will be the first to say that I like the striving for perfection bit, LL was actually too much when it came to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment