Friday, September 17, 2010

The Seat. Polu picks on Prince.

"Sit deeper!" She shouted across the arena. I was attempting to quiet my seat and relax into the saddle as Prince took me around. He had an absolutely unflappable canter. "Sit," he would say, "relax, I got it." It was rocking, soft and super comfortable. So comfortable, I should've pinched myself. Polu, as with his his entire self, was very demanding and this included the riders position through all gaits. Sitting his canter was difficult and he was not forgiving. Perhaps that is why I was never a perfect match for my Polu?

"Now, drop the reins and spread your arms out." "And for goodness sake Elizabeth, RELAX!" I couldn't be more relaxed than if I went limp and allowed my back and shoulders to slump. I dropped my reins. LL was so insistant. For the most part, LL was only a small figure an annoying, somewhat present, vouce in the large picture of Prince and I. Although she shouted her demands, I was more focused on my perfect little steed, as he silently, patiently, kindly spoke to me. You would think that such loud words would demand ones attention, but with riding it is often the silent that actually do..

Once my lesson was over, I cooled Prince out around the arena as Maryness walked in on Polu for her lesson with LL. Maryness was such a poised rider it was amazing how strong she actually was. I mean, to withstand the demanding presence and attitude her instructor had. LL, although talented in her own right, had a much different riding style than Maryness. Maryness was a kind pilot, LL was a demanding pilot (who would have thought, right?). So the two of them working together was odd. Opposites attract? Well, I'm not sure, but in some odd way their relationship worked..

Polu had been going so well, when suddenly he came up lame. It was subtle at first, but there. So we had the vet out to do a thorough lameness exam. X-rays were inconclusive, but an ultrasound determined something else...

No comments:

Post a Comment