Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Green Dream

I'd like to think that my horse, Polu, enjoyed his stall, filled with cushy shavings up the walls, all the hay he wanted, fresh water and of course his grain and treats. As I watched him graze freely in the barns far back, large irrigated pasture, I wondered if what I thought was ideal, was actually not to my white horse. He looked so happy and at peace. The wind blew through the trees surrounding this large open space, the birds flew about and the clouds moved above and as I sat there in deep thought, I saw something I had been missing. My horse belonged there. The perfect joining of the green grass, his muzzle scooping it up so gently, Polu, the trees, the birds, the sky, all seemed in perfect harmony. It seemed silly to think that he belonged anywhere else.

LL and I talked long and hard. She brought my to some realizations. I always thought LL was the highest supporter of stalls, blankets, limited turn-out in only flat, irrigated paddocks. I always thought she believed in a stalled horse in general. One that was in work at least. Afterall her barn is filled with horses who have never even been out in the pasture or out much at all.

I was shocked when she suggested we let Polu rest, once he was done with confinement, in the big pasture with Getta, the old GP mount that was once owned by LL's late mother. Getta was extremely sweet. She sat out there lonely, but happy. Although she was pushing 25, on a good day she move across the pasture like she was still 10. No one paid much attention to Getta, the Great GP Lady G, as she was called, but she was always there looking on for a 'hello' from horse or human pass-by'ers.

In a very odd move, we turned Polu out with Getta. I was nervous that Polu would re-injure himself, so we aced him the first couple of times and only let him out for small bits at a time. Androu was paid to sit and watch him like a hawk. Nothing happened, except Getta fell in love. She followed Polu around like a puppy. Quivering at his every move in lust. I don't blame her. Polu was the picture of peace. And soon enough he was on full outdoor living.

There I sat, staring at my Polu. At this point, the vet had told me that he was going to be able to do lower level Dressage, but nothing beyond. She recommended I find him a new home where he could be the dream of a young rider or adult amateur that wanted to do nothing but love a horse and do lower level Dressage. At first, I have to admit, I was on the brink of selling him. LL and I actually had someone lined up to take him, but I couldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment