Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Good Blues and Prince

Polu and Maryness had their debut at PSG and came home with an excellent score. I won't mention the score or location, but it was one of the highest that day and they were just below first place. We all thought Polu was much more of what you wanted to see. He was far more consistent, his departures were crisper. LL was very disappointed that he didn't bring home the blue. She knew the judge personally and felt the judge knew exactly who deserved the winning score. I was pleased and thought LL was acting a little out of context. She (LL) pulled the judge aside later in the day to discuss in detail as to why Polu received the score he did and what was lacking in comparison to the first place horse. LL refused to give me all the details. Maybe as reason for me to seek another trainer? I'm not sure really. She did however say a handful of things like "slighty drops on the fore in downward transitions," "Is not coming under himself enough."

I had my first real proud moment though. Maryness was doing a great job and Polu looked fantastic. LL was being a bit harsh. She explained that we must work harder to get him going stronger so next time, it's the blue instead of the red. LL didn't stop at Polu, she thought Maryness needed some more fine-tuning in execution of the aids too.

Days later, at home again, Polu had gotten a few days off to relax after his good efforts. But it was quickly back to work. LL insisted to Maryness she (LL) ride him 3 days a week to get him up to where he needed to be. Polu was being worked 3 times a week, at twice a day, with three other days once a day and then a day off, usually Sunday. It was a demanding schedule, but Polu was becoming a serious contender for Grand Prix.

After a month of so of LL riding him, she allowed Maryness to resume her regular schedule but also insisted she ride with some well-known trainers throughout the country (and beyond) to hone her riding. LL was very demanding and very persistent in her requests.

I was visiting Polu on a daily basis to ensure everything was up to my standards. Lets get a couple things clear. The riding and training of Polu was taken extremely serious and was being done to a very high standard. That is after all why I was not riding him anymore. But I refuse to have a hair out of place. Polu was to be bathed, groomed, hand-walked (on his off day and 1/day rides), etc everyday. I at times, found it very annoying to see my horse slightly dirty after a ride. The grooms would do a decent job post ride to put him away clean, but I was not satisfied. In addition to his strict training regime, he was also on a strict grooming schedule. Here is what it looked like:

* Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Bathed in a special Grade "A" moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
* Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Bathed in coat color enhancing shampoo.
* Sunday - Bathed in a dandruff shampoo.

I checked amounts daily to ensure the grooms were using the correct amount and actually doing the job. One day I came to find Polu not bathed. I tracked down said Groom, Androu, to ask him why exactly Polu had yet to be bathed. He responded apologetic and explained that they were running 10 minutes behind as a load of yearlings had come in and they needed to get them settled.

"I understand you are busy Androu, we all are, but Polu should be first on your list."

I offered him an extra $50 to get to the job first as Groom B (regularly scheduled groom) was not as detailed. With this extra tip, I expected Androu to attend to Polu first, always.

LL refused to allow Androu to groom Polu as he was the best groom she had and he was reserved for her horses only. Groom B was for the clients. I had to go about getting Androu to groom my horse behind LL's back, which was relatively easy. But nevertheless, these annoyances like mentioned above, we sometimes unavoidable.

Enough about the grooming though..

Recently, when I arrived at the barn, LL had something waiting for me. She said to come by her office as soon as I got there. I pulled into the parking lot, walked through the courtyard to her office, which was on the backside of the barn.

When I turned the corner, I saw a cute horse standing at her side. He was cute, but small and frankly a little distant from the Polu, of my dreams.

"Elizabeth, meet Prince. He is our newest addition. An imported German Warmblood, just came in yesterday."

"He is cute, a little small."

"Yes he is small. He stands 15.3(hh). But he is a great mover for his size."

"Whose is he?"

"Well, I know how much you miss Polu..."

"Wait, wait, wait.." Putting my hand down in a stopping motion.

"I never said I wanted another horse LL."

"Elizabeth, you need to ride. Polu is on the fast track and I don't want to see you get left behind."

Wait..was that a sign of empathy from LL? No... Couldn't have been...

LL handed me the lead-line. Tiny Prince calm stood at the end, waiting for direction.

"Trust me Elizabeth, you'll like Prince. He is just up your ally."

LL walked away smiling. I was unsure what this gesture really meant. But I thought I'd give Prince a try..

No comments:

Post a Comment