Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blues Both Ways

I agreed to have Mary-ness ride Polu. - She was to train with LL on a regular basis. I was invited to be there to share my input as horse owner, but not encouraged. There is a difference. - It was that, or no Dressage trainer would touch him. LL was well-known, well-respected. I had to look past my selfish desires, overcoming my intense dreams to one day ride Polu through Grand Prix myself, to now submitting to an overly talented, young, ambitious Dressage rider who was more close to perfect than one could imagine. It was heart wrenching, depressing and internally I felt extremely disappointed in myself.

I mustered up the courage and energy to watch Polu travel far better than he ever had through Mary-ness' riding. It was true, my riding was doing nothing for his future. I watched the weekly sessions, watched the clinics, over only 6 short weeks, Polu was on track for his near-future debut at Prix St. Georges.

LL began to comfort me in a way which was almost uncomfortable.

"Mary-ness is doing such a nice job, wouldn't you say."

Only it wasn't said as a question. LL was not interested in my opinion, only that she kept me content enough to stay quiet. This required occasional, buttery, slathering talks that were meant to make me feel better about my decision that she knew was ripping me up. LL was also aware that I was the type of owner, that if someone tempted me too, I would throw away chances at Grand Prix just to make sure she didn't over-come my role and take my horse away from me. I would only allow so much of me to be taken advantage of.

One very warm and sunny afternoon, after a quiet, solo session I was observing with Mary-ness, she asked me if I would be interested to step aboard my dear Polu. I was stunned and shocked. I sat there in my chair inside the indoor arena, near silent for a minute.

"Are you sure, I don't want to ruin your hard work?"

"Oh don't be silly. Polu knows you. He knows when it's me or someone else up there. A nice pleasure ride won't hurt him!"

"If LL knew I did this, she would be very upset.."

"Trust me. LL won't be ack until tomorrow, so don't worry!"

I quickly darted to me car to grab my boots and breeches, ran to the restroom in the barn and darted back out to the indoor. I slowed to a calm, in-charge walk so Mary-ness wouldn't think I was too desperate for a ride.

I grabbed the reins, griped them in my hand with a little mane and mounted up. I missed the feel of the reins and seeing Polu from atop his back. His ears always thinking, but consistently on his rider.

Mary-ness stepped away and encouraged us forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment